Sunday 2 February 2014

Cheesecake Heaven



Now if I died and went to heaven, I expect that this cheesecake would be waiting for me. My boyfriend is always teasing me about the chocolate layer that he finds in all of my baking, well this recipe has 3 chocolate layers, a vanilla layer and Dulce de leche! In my opinion, the perfect balance!

I have been searching for the perfect cheesecake, and I think that this is the one! I had tagged this recipe for months before mustering the courage to attempt it, but I am SO glad I did!

I was convinced that the only cheesecakes worth eating were set cheesecakes (which I still LOVE), but this is the bomb-diggity of baked cheesecakes. The recipe looked too hard with a few layers and a long cooking time, but this may be the perfect dessert.

It's good to look at, but euphoric to eat. I can't even....

Cheesecake Heaven

Biscuit Base
450g Oreos, crushed
100g Butter, melted

Crush the whole Oreos in a food processor until fine, add the melted butter and blitz until well combined. Grease the whole spring form tin and line the sides with baking paper. (I always thought the base of the springform tins was flat at the top and the lip went underneath, which I found out was upside-down, but I prefer to do it this way so the cake slides straight off!). Press the biscuit base into the tin, on the base and up the sides. Refrigerate until ready to fill. 




The cheesecake is to be baked in a water bath to make the texture perfect, so it is really important to prepare the bath before making the filling. I used a large roasting tin, and formed a aluminium foil boat to prevent the water touching the springform tin. The oven needs to be set at 160C fan forced (320F). I was lazy and boiled the water in the kettle and added it to the water bath after the cheesecake filling was ready to bake.

Cheesecake Filling
2 1/2 Packets of Philly Cream Cheese (about 630g)
1 can condensed milk
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp Vanilla essence
3 large eggs
100g Dark chocolate
4-5 tsp lemon juice (optional)

In a large bowl beat the cream cheese and gradually add the condensed milk and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla essence and lemon juice and beat until beautiful and smooth. Melt the chocolate in a medium sized bowl and add a third of the cheesecake mixture and mix well. Put the chocolate mixture into the prepared base and then pour the rest in after.



Put the cheesecake in the water bath and add enough boiling water so that it reaches half way up the sides of the spring form tin. Bake at 160C for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It will be a lovely caramel colour on top and will move slightly. Take out of the water bath and let it cool enough to transfer to the fridge. Refrigerate for about 2 hours. Keep the water bath for the caramel.

Dulce de Leche
2 tins of condensed milk

Add both tins into a ovenproof dish and cover in foil. Place into the same water bath and bake for 1 and a half hours or until golden caramel colour. Whisk until smooth. Can be refrigerated for up to a month in an airtight container.
Pour the Dulce de Leche over the cooled cheesecake and put back in the fridge.


Dark Chocolate Ganache
100g Dark chocolate
1/2 cup cream

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (over simmering water) until melted and smooth. Add in room temperature cream and stir until smooth and glossy. It should be thick enough to pour but not too runny.
Pour the ganache over the cooled cheesecake.


ENJOY!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10