Monday 8 June 2015

Apple Cider Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting



For me, baking is a creative outlet. There is something soothing and therapeutic about getting the batter just right, and seeing the transformation into something amazing. I love trying new things and pushing myself with more difficult techniques, but I think what I love most about baking is the response from my friends and family. I love seeing the surprise people get from trying something new and delicious.

When I decided to start this blog, I wanted to create a way for my friends and family to share some of our favourite recipes. I love looking through boards on Pinterest and seeing some of the amazing recipes that people come up with, and really enjoy being able to try, test and experiment with some of these ideas. This is where today's recipe comes from. I saw this recipe and knew that I had to try it, and lets be honest, I was delighted!

I am a lover of cider and there is something amazing about the crisp clean taste of local cider after a long day. So when I found this recipe I was intrigued and I knew that I had to try it. Prepare to be amazed!

Apple Cider Cupcakes
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 2/3 cup of plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 cup of apple cider
Method:
Preheat oven to 180'C. Grease and line a 12 hole muffin tray. 
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a separate bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture and cider into the creamed butter. (Flour, cider, flour, cider, flour). The mixture will be quite soft, this is because brown sugar is moist as opposed to castor sugar, which is very dry.


Transfer the batter into the prepared tins, filling each muffin hole to about 3/4 full. Place the tray into the oven and bake for 16-20 minutes, my oven was 17 minutes, but they are ready when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. 
Remove from oven and allow to cool, before icing.



Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 125g butter, room temperature and divided
  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 250g cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
Method:
In a medium saucepan, melt 50g butter and sugar over medium heat and continue to stir until the sugar is completely melted. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat. Whisk in the cream until the caramel is smooth. Allow to cool.
Place the remaining butter into a large bowl and beat in the cream cheese until the mixture is smooth. Beat in the vanilla and the salt. Gradually mix in the caramel until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Beat in the sifted icing sugar until the icing is smooth. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and decorate as desired. 


ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10