Monday 8 June 2015

Caramel and Cream Cheese Frosting



I love to mix and match! As I search for my next challenge, I see many recipes with endless potential for deliciousness, but they are lacking a certain flavour. I am always looking for something fresh and new, and I often will make a cake from one recipe and use an icing from another. With any leftover frostings, I usually save them for macarons or other cakes. Ganache freezes very well and once thawed, comes together perfectly (it may need a teaspoon of milk to prevent cracking though!). I have made these macarons and used my spare Caramel Cream Cheese frosting to give them a sweet and creamy flavour. I also used a local boysenberry jam, which I couldn't miss an opportunity to try.



This macaron recipe is the one that I have found works time and again.
http://whippeddream.blogspot.com/search/label/Macarons

Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 125g butter, room temperature and divided
  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 250g cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
Method:
In a medium saucepan, melt 50g butter and sugar over medium heat and continue to stir until the sugar is completely melted. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat. Whisk in the cream until the caramel is smooth. Allow to cool.
Place the remaining butter into a large bowl and beat in the cream cheese until the mixture is smooth. Beat in the vanilla and the salt. Gradually mix in the caramel until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Beat in the sifted icing sugar until the icing is smooth. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and decorate as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10